Military Discharges

Posted by
Town Clerk

Veterans who served in the military during a time of war, and own property or cars in the Town of Durham may file their military discharges with the Town Clerk's office in order to receive tax exemptions. There is no charge to file or for a copy of a filed military discharge. Original DD214s and certified copies of DD214s will be accepted as proof of prior service in the military. (See information for obtaining duplicate copy or your DD214 below).

The following dates are determined to be time of war by SEC. 27-103:
  • Pursuant to § 12-86, twelve o'clock midnight on December 31, 1947 is the World War II termination date for purposes of granting a property tax exemption.
  • A person must serve in a combat or combat support role for the duration of any campaign lasting less than 90 days in order to qualify for a property tax exemption. An Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal is awarded to such individuals.
  • Active duty service personnel first became eligible for an exemption based on service in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, while that campaign was ongoing. Individuals who received an exemption based on receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm continue to be eligible even though they do not meet the 90-day service requirement.

Duplicate copies of DD214s can be obtained by requesting and completing a Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, to

National Personnel Records Center 
Military Personnel Records 
9700 Page Boulevard 
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

The form may obtained by calling 1 800-827-1000
Standard Form 180 (fillable form)

For further assistance with regard to veteran exemptions, please call the Assessor's office at (860) 349-3452